THE SOIL BIOGRAPHY
The Group: Meet The Soil: a 4-member acapella singing group whose music can best be described as „Kasi Soul‟. The Soil strives to fuse their voices to deliver melodic and harmonious messages that are aimed at uplifting and healing souls all around the world.
The first member of the group exists in a spiritual form as The Creator of all. The other three members of the group take a physical form: Buhle Mda, Luphindo Ngxanga, and Ntsika Fana Ngxanga.
The Soil claims they are simply channels of the songs that they believe come to them from a sacred place where they just serve as mediums that help carry the message through.
The Music: This self-titled debut album by The Soil was released on the 6th June 2011 and it has surely taken South Africa by storm with hit singles “Joy”, “Baninzi” and “Iinkomo” all speculating South African radio stations on high rotation. The Soil music takes you back to the time when the Creator sculpted the skies and the land, covering it with…the soil. The group‟s music bears testimony to the fact that God created man using the very soil and thousands of years later He gave a voice to The Soil. It is through this belief that The Soil invites you to listen with your ear on the ground as you might hear the sound.
Defined as Kasi Soul, the group‟s music features (in a contemporary township style), an eclectic mix of musical genres such as jazz, hip hop, Afro-pop and Afro-soul). The group‟s musical style is evident in its rhythmic vocal bass line, with constant beat boxing – a distinct feature in the music – whilst the remaining voices contribute to the choral and polyphonic accompaniment. Equal and up to the challenge, each of the group members take turns in solo vocal performance to display their most beautiful rendition of the melodic verses embedded in each song.
The album is a reflection of the group‟s aspiration for a world full of joy, hope, faith, goodwill and love – a message carried out with each performance and each song.
The Soil debut album is a culmination of years of dedication, hard work and a passion for the art. It is due to this fact that The Soil fans requested a Live DVD of the group‟s music and The Soil has finally conformed to the request and release The Soil Reflections Live in Joburg DVD and CD on the 21st October 2013.
Having paid their dues as a performing group in and around the country, The Soil is as comfortable at big music festivals and concerts as it is on theater stages. In the past 7 years The Soil has graced stages of the most renowned events such as the Standard Bank Joy of Jazz, Grahamstown Arts Festival, Jazz by the River, as well as theater stages of the Nelson Mandela Theater as well as the Catalyst Theatre in Cape Town.
It is through this journey that The Soil strives to be a household name and a global brand imprinted in the hearts and minds of those who aspire for a better world.
The Soil Accolades:
Since the release of their debut Album on the 6th of June 2011, they have achieved the following to mention a few:
- The Soil has won Best Soul artist for SATMA awards 2012
- On 30 November 2013, The Soil was awarded with the Best Afro-Pop Music Video award at the Channel O Music Video Awards for their
video “Iinkomo” ft Zakwe.
- The Soil has received two nominations at the 20th South African Music Awards in the categories Best Live DVD and Best RnB, Soul and Raggae, the winners will be announced on 28 April 2014 at the Sun City Superbowl.
- The Soil‟s debut album has sold more than platinum and still going strong
- The Soil has more than 400.000 fans on facebook and twitter
- The Soil debut album and deluxe edition has been on top 20 SA music
chart at Musica stores around the country
- They were appointed Ambassadors of 46664 fashion brand
- The Soil‟s track from the debut album “Sedilaka” is featured as a
soundtrack on the movie titled Dark Tide staring Halle Berry.
- They recorded all the songs on a SABC 1 sitcom called “My Perfect
Performances on major stages around the world:
- The Soil has staged their own campus tours at university campuses around the country with a capacity of more than 1000 fans per venue
- The Soil music is on high rotation on all top radio stations around the country
- The soil performed on 6 shows as opening act with the renowned group Freshly Ground on their tour of 10 year Celebration.
- The soil did a Cameo performance on top SA local soapies called Isidingo and Rhythm City in 2012.
- On the 15 March 2013, the soil performed at the Africa Now festival at Apollo theatre Music Cafe in New York
- The Soil performed at the Edinburgh Festival in the UK from 1st August till 26th August 2013. The soil performances at Edinburgh Festival in Scotland took place every day for 26 Days from 7:10pm till 8:10pm and they attracted a large audience.
- The Soil has just returned from Los Angeles to perform at the very first South African music and film festival staged by the South African Department of Arts and Culture.
The Soil is currently busy promoting through Live performances their Live DVD and CD titled The Soil
Reflections Live in Joburg. The series of performances started at Lyric Theatre on 25 October 2013 then Feather Market Theatre on 8 November 2013 then in 2014 has already been to Durban Playhouse in Durban on 16 February 2014 and will be now be moving on to Orient Theatre in East London on 5 April 2014. Other cities will be Umthatha, Mafikeng, Empangeni, Pietermaritzburg and Cape Town, dates to be announced.